Saturday 20 February 2010

Begin anywhere


Begin anywhere, said John Cage. Or so I heard. Just start, words will come.


How to begin? Always a problem for me. So many ideas. Sometimes so little. Not enough water. Too many chocolate coins delaying the moment I should get down to it. A wander around the house, a cuddle with the dog, another coffee...

I read the John Cage quote on Hula Seventy, one of my favourite colourful blogs. One I go to when I want to think of ways to live. And beneath it, there was a photo of an endless array of coloured crayons in an art shop. I knew what that felt like - faced with all the beautiful pens, dreaming of mixing colours, dancing across white blank pages and yet not quite knowing where to begin or what to draw.

So after three years of procrastination and self-doubt I have begun.

Not eating Spam. I will never begin that. I just like the photo and it's by Martin Parr.

No comments: